What is Healthy Gums?
Designed by a holistic veterinarian, Healthy Gums is a potent infused herbal product with added nutrients for gum and oral health of felines: Coenzyme Q10, Vitamin C and Zinc. It does not contain alcohol or harsh ingredients that can cause further irritation of the gums.
The base of this product is medium chain triglyceride (MCT) oil. Unlike regular coconut oil, this oil remains in a liquid state at room temperature. This oil is known for its incredible ability to keep skin tissue healthy and provide nutrition to the layers of the skin. Furthermore, it helps to maintain the natural immunity of the tissues, assisting the skin's barrier capability.
What is Healthy Gums Used For?
Periodontal health is something every cat owner needs to be aware of once their pet reaches age 2 to 3. Multiple factors determine oral health status and these will become more critical as your feline ages. In particular, consider the type of diet your cat eats (including treats) and anything else your pet chews.
Early and advanced stages of gingivitis are both reversible. The bacteria in the mouth (which builds up between the teeth and gums) will cause bad breath (not regular "kitty breath"), and this is a first clue. Additionally, the gums may appear red, inflamed and sore. Touching the gums may cause them to bleed and exude pus. If your cat is having these symptoms, it is of utmost importance to treat and reverse the problem.
If the condition advances, it can lead to periodontis, a disease in which the supportive structures around the teeth become inflamed, leading to more infection and eventually loss of the teeth. The infection can become systemic and travel to other areas of the body.
Healthy Gums is designed to:
- Soothe gums and oral membranes
- Reduce bacterial growth in the mouth
Use Healthy Gums at any stage or sign of gum inflammation or any oral inflammation. As a preventative measure, use Healthy Gums intermittently to keep the oral environment balanced and resistant to bacterial growth.
Please consult with your veterinarian for a complete oral health program if your feline shows signs of gum inflammation or disease.
A note from our veterinarian...
The bottom line is: If your cat's mouth is painful, he or she will eventually have difficulty eating. This can lead to weight loss and behavioral issues. Periodontal issues often go unnoticed because cats don't let on that their teeth or gums are painful. And gum inflammation is very painful. Preventing the advancement of gum inflammation is key to overall health and a lot of unpleasantness later on. Take some time to learn about routine oral hygiene.
Many pets like to "kiss" us and we need to keep their oral hygiene at the top of our list for this reason as well.
Watch for signs that your feline may be having oral health issues, including:
- Aversion to kibble or hard food
- Reluctance to eat
- Dragon breath
- Hard, brown build up on the teeth
- Unusual irritability or aggression
- Less grooming
Have a look at your cat's teeth at home and note whether the gums look swollen or red, if there is obvious build up on the teeth (tartar) and whether there are teeth missing or loose. A really bad odor in the mouth is unmistakable and is not normal. Talk to your veterinarian if you notice any of these signs so you can develop a plan to help your feline. Healthy Gums is an excellent addition to an oral hygiene strategy and may provide relief. If the condition is serious, your cat will certainly require additional support.
Does it Come With a Guarantee?
Yes! Healthy Gums comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee.
Why Choose Healthy Gums for Your Feline Friend?
- Certified Organic and Ethically Wild-harvested: Our formulas are prepared from organically grown and ethically wild-harvested herbs.
- Good Manufacturing Practices: All of our formulas are manufactured in a facility that adheres to Good Manufacturing Practices, including testing of all raw materials to confirm identification and purity.
- Full-Spectrum Extract: The full biochemical spectrum of the herbs is preserved to ensure the highest potency extract.
- Every Batch Tested: Every batch of our Healthy Gums is tested to ensure the highest quality and potency. Every single batch.
- FDA-Registered Facility: Our manufacturing facility is FDA registered. Strict quality control procedures are meticulously monitored.
- FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine Guidelines: PetWellbeing.com complies with the provisions of the CVM's good guidance practices for pet dietary supplements. All ingredients and caution statements adhere to these national guidelines.
- It's Guaranteed: In addition to the superior quality of our products, you are also protected by our 90-day, money-back guarantee.
Who Makes Healthy Gums?
Healthy Gums is made by PetWellbeing.com, founded in 2001. Our goal? To bring the wisdom and experience of our caring holistic veterinarians to your pet. When your pet is healthy; you're happy.
To fulfill our vision, our on staff, holistic veterinarians have developed formulas using time honored, traditional uses of herbs and integrated the latest scientific research. It is our aim to produce the best products for your pet that we can.
How to Administer Healthy Gums
Administer twice daily. Shake vigorously before use.
Amount per application (approximate):
- Under 10 lbs................. 3-4 drops
- 11 lbs - 40 lbs............... 5-7 drops
- Over 40 lbs................... 8-10 drops
Using dropper, apply directly onto gums. Use only enough to sufficiently coat the gums.
Some people find it useful to apply gently and spread with a fingertip or cotton swab (Q-Tip) if the gums are not excessively inflamed. Be mindful not to cause added discomfort or pain during application as infected or inflamed gums can be extremely sensitive.
Avoid touching the dropper to infected areas to prevent contamination of the product.
Treating the gums can be challenging but your pet will be glad you did.
Use With Caution
- Not to be used during pregnancy or nursing.
- If animal's condition worsens or does not improve, stop product administration and consult your veterinarian.
- Absorption of drugs may be delayed if taken at the same time.
- Use with caution in cardiac or kidney conditions or if taking steroids. Excessive use may contribute to water retention or hypertension.
- An examination from a veterinarian is recommended prior to using this product.
- For animal use only. Keep out of reach of children and animals. In case of accidental overdose, contact a health professional immediately.
Healthy Gums is Formulated With:
- Calendula flower (Calendula officinalis)*: The pretty, yellow-orange petals of Calendula flowers have shown antibacterial and antiviral activity. Use to support normal healing of the skin, Calendula also soothes inflamed skin and has been used for gingivitis.
- Marshmallow root (Althea officinale)*: The tissues of the mouth and gums are covered in a delicate layer of skin. Extracted Marshmallow root soothes this soft skin when inflamed or red and hastens the healing of those tissues. Marshmallow is high in mucilage content, a constituent that protects mucous membranes from irritation.
- Goldenseal root (Hydrastis canadensis)*: Goldenseal is strongly indicated to help maintain a healthy immune function throughout the body. It has been shown to have a direct affect on bacteria and viruses. and by many herbalists, is considered an essential anti-microbial in their dispensary for stubborn immune conditions. We use only cultivated Goldenseal, so as not to threaten this endangered species in the wild.
- Bayberry root bark (Myrica cerifera)**: Bayberry is one of the best herbal astringents, meaning that it tones and tightens smooth membranes. It works particularly well for treating the skin throughout the alimentary canal (which includes the tissues inside the mouth and the gums) and has a mild antibacterial property.
- Chinese Skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis)†: Baikal Skullcap, high in flavonoids, has shown antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. Oral preparations are used to reduce inflammation of the membranes inside the mouth.
- Licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra)*: Also called "sweet root" and the "universal herb", Licorice demonstrates an antibacterial and antiviral affect. Licorice also has a mildly demulcent quality and a natural sweetness.
- Prickly Ash bark (Zanthoxylum americanum)**: Used in Native American medicine, the bark of this tree has been called "toothache bark" and possesses astringent qualities.
- Coptis root (Coptis chinensis)†: An herb high in berberine, Coptis is considered to have similar properties to Goldenseal. It has particular application with ulceration of mucous membranes.
- Myrrh gum (Commiphora mol-mol)†: One of the most well used herbal antiseptics, Myrrh has bacteriostatic and astringent qualities that make it ideal for oral health.
...183 mg per ml (20 drops/ml)
Herbs are *certified organic, **ethically wild-harvested or †selectively imported
- Coenzyme Q10................................... 30 mg
- Ascorbyl palmitate (Vitamin C)........... 10 mg
- Zinc oxide............................................ 0.75 mg
Inactive Ingredients: Medium chain triglyceride (MCT) oil
Meet Dr. Janice Huntingford
Janice Huntingford, DVM, has been in veterinary practice for 28 years and has founded two veterinary clinics since receiving her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. She has studied extensively in both conventional and holistic modalities.