About Feline Diabetes Mellitus
Diabetes results when a cat's pancreas fails to produce enough insulin. Sugars build up in the bloodstream rather than entering the body’s tissues where they would otherwise provide energy. (This is why diabetic cats are often lethargic.)
Excess sugar in the bloodstream can lead to several other conditions, including heart, liver and kidney disease, increased infections, slow healing, cataracts, blindness, etc.
Risk factors for feline diabetes include:
- Poor diet (high carbohydrate kibble)
- Steroid treatments
- Stress and shock
Diabetes is more common in:
- Male cats, generally
- Cats fed a diet of dry kibble, only
- Overweight cats
- Middle-aged and older felines
Common symptoms of feline diabetes mellitus include:
- Increased thirst, frequent urination
- Weakness, lethargy
- Signs of pain in the abdomen
- Cataracts (eyes cloudy rather than clear)
- Weight loss
- Muscle wasting
Diagnosing and Treating Feline Diabetes
If you think your cat may have diabetes, you should take him to a vet. A veterinarian can diagnose feline diabetes mellitus by examining sugar levels in the cat's blood and urine.
A recommended lifestyle change usually includes a healthy species-appropriate diet, high in protein and without complex carbohydrates. If your cat is overweight, you can assist with weight loss through diet and increased exercise. Caution: weight loss should be gradual.
If cats lose weight too quickly or stop eating, they can become prone to a serious illness called hepatic lipidosis (also called fatty liver syndrome). When this happens, excess fat builds up in the cells of the liver. Be very careful when transitioning your feline to a new food to ensure he is eating adequate amounts daily. Cats cannot fast and must ingest some food within each 24 hour period at an absolute minimum!
Treatment will almost certainly include regular injections of insulin. Your cat's feeding regime will be determined when a glucose curve is done by a veterinarian. This will indicate the best time to give insulin and when to feed your cat. Also closely monitor any adjustment in diet, especially if moving from a higher carbohydrate kibble diet to a higher protein, lower carbohydrate diet. Lower carb diets may reduce the percentage of body fat and lower insulin requirements.
What is Blood Sugar Gold?
Our unique formula has been developed by our holistic veterinarians to support stable feline blood sugar levels. Using the best known herbs for blood sugar support and maintenance, it also contains herbs to support a healthy liver and eyes.
If your veterinarian wants to know more about this product - download the Professional Reference. You can take this form to your vet if he/she would like to know more about BSG.
What is Blood Sugar Gold Used For?
Blood Sugar Gold can be used in tandem with other protocols for supporting healthy blood sugar levels. It is of utmost importance that care is taken to monitor blood sugar levels when using this formula, particularly if using with blood-sugar-lowering drugs. The effectiveness will be individual.
Although the ingredients in this formula are herbal, they are surprisingly effective at lowering blood sugar in cats, especially if an appropriate diet and exercise are part of the program. Cautions are stated to ensure that your cat's blood sugar stays within a healthy range while using this product. That is the most important thing, whether your cat is administered a drug, Blood Sugar Gold, or a combination of the two.
Blood Sugar Gold contains herbs that support the pancreas. It also consists of herbs that support liver function. Part of the liver's role in maintaining blood sugar is to store and release glucose into the bloodstream, as needed. The liver's function is closely tied to maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.
Symptoms brought on by high blood sugar levels (such as increased urination, thirst and low energy) may start to subside for your feline as blood sugar levels start to stabilize.
If your cat has been diagnosed with diabetes, it is essential that his blood sugar levels are kept within a healthy range. Do not substitute Blood Sugar Gold for blood-sugar-lowering drugs. Blood Sugar Gold contains hypoglycemic herbal ingredients, and they may have a large or small affect on your cat's blood sugar levels. For this reason, it is extremely important that levels are monitored when giving this supplement. A glucose curve, taken every two weeks, is recommended.
Can My Cat Take Blood Sugar Gold with Medications?
Blood Sugar Gold may heighten the effect of blood-sugar-lowering drugs. Monitor blood sugar levels closely if administering the product with blood-sugar-lowering drugs. A veterinarian can help to ensure optimal blood sugar levels are maintained. Talk to your veterinarian about how to monitor blood sugar levels at home, and also about monitoring frequency until levels have stabilized.
If your cat's blood sugar levels are too high, please do not rely on BSG as the only therapy for your cat. Most cats will require a drug to manage their high blood sugar. In some cases, BSG will allow the injection amounts to eventually decrease or be eliminated. Careful and gradual is key. Keeping your cat's blood sugar levels healthy is essential.
An examination from a veterinarian is recommended prior to taking this product.
Does it Come With a Guarantee?
Yes! Blood Sugar Gold comes with a 90 day money-back guarantee.
Why Choose Blood Sugar Gold for Your Feline Friend?
- Certified Organic and Ethically Wild-Harvested: Our formulas are entirely prepared from organically grown and wild-harvested herbs.
- Good Manufacturing Practices: All of our formulas are manufactured in a facility that adheres to Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Full Spectrum Extract: The full biochemical spectrum of the herbs is preserved to ensure the potency of the extract. All raw materials are tested for identification and purity.
- Every Batch Tested: Every batch of our Blood Sugar Gold is tested to ensure the highest quality and potency. Every single batch.
- FDA-Registered Facility: Our manufacturing facility is FDA-registered. Strict quality control procedures are meticulously monitored.
- FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine Guidelines: PetWellbeing.com complies with the provisions of the CVM's good guidance practices for pet dietary supplements. All ingredients and caution statements adhere to these national guidelines.
- It's Guaranteed: In addition to the superior quality of our products, you are also protected by our 90 day money-back guarantee.
Who Makes Blood Sugar Gold?
Blood Sugar Gold is made by PetWellbeing.com, founded in 2001. Our goal? To bring the wisdom and experience of our caring holistic veterinarians to your pet. When your pet is healthy; you're happy.
To fulfill our vision, our on-staff, holistic veterinarians have developed formulas using time-honored, traditional uses of herbs, and integrated the latest scientific research. It is our aim to produce the best products for your pet that we can.
How to Administer Blood Sugar Gold
Administer product orally twice daily. Give one drop for every 2 lb (1kg) of body weight.
Shake well before use. Does not require refrigeration.
We know animals can be finicky! Blood Sugar Gold is enhanced with delicious natural bacon flavor. We recommend administration of the drops in a way that your cat will like best.
Use With Caution
- Safe use in pregnant animals or animals intended for breeding has not been proven.
- If animal's condition worsens or does not improve, stop product administration and consult your veterinarian.
- An examination from a veterinarian is recommended prior to using this product. Product may be hypoglycemic.
- May heighten the effect of blood-sugar-lowering drugs. Monitor blood sugar levels closely if administering this product with blood-sugar-lowering drugs. A veterinarian can help to ensure optimal blood sugar levels are maintained.
Blood Sugar Gold is Formulated With:
- Devil's Club root bark (Oplopanax horridum): This indigenous North American herb has vast uses. Maintenance of normal blood sugar levels is one of its most powerful applications. It has also been used traditionally by First Nations Peoples for the respiratory system, for joints, the digestive system and as a general health tonic.
- Gymnema leaf (Gymnema sylvestre): With the addition of this herb to our formula, there is specific support to the beta cells of the pancreas and also to maintain healthy blood sugar levels immediately following consumption of food.
- Fenugreek seed (Trigonella foenum-graecum): A seed used extensively in India for health and nutrition, recent studies concur that healthy liver and insulin levels may be linked with regular ingestion.
- Burdock root (Arctium lappa): High in inulin, Burdock has been used traditionally to support healthy blood sugar levels, the liver and good digestion.
- Goat's Rue herb (Galega officinalis): Used and grown in Europe for hundreds of years, this herb may allow the body to better tolerate carbohydrates. It is also one of the main plants used for maintaining healthy blood sugar levels. Its secondary ability to support the liver makes it a valuable addition to this formula.
- Dandelion root (Taraxacum officinale): Both leaf and root are commonly used in herbal formulas; however, we have used only the root in Blood Sugar Gold. The root's therapeutic actions are as a pancreatic regulator, cholagogue, for pancreatic and bile duct stimulation, and portal circulation.
- Bilberry fruit (Vaccinium officinalis): Rich in anthocyanins, these berries are considered a wonderful food source of antioxidants. The extract is known to affect the tiny blood vessels that supply the eyes. It also shows specific action in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.
...491 mg per ml (20 drops / ml)
Herbs are certified organic or ethically wild-harvested.
- Deionized water
- Natural bacon flavor
- Vegetable glycerin
Meet Dr. Janice Huntingford
Janice Huntingford, DVM, has been in veterinary practice for 28 years and has founded two veterinary clinics since receiving her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. She has studied extensively in both conventional and holistic modalities.